Whether it is the gradual loss of skin tone, wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, sagging skin, or a combination of these concerns, most of us (and by “us” I mean most people on the wrong side of 40) would like to find that magic wand that will reverse all signs of aging. That magic wand is yet to be discovered, but there’s something we can do to delay and even reverse to some extent the damage our lifestyle and the sheer passing of time have done to our skin.
A facelift is said to be rejuvenation, but it is only superficial. It involves the removal of sections of the skin, pulling the remainder of the skin tight and possibly shortening underlying muscles to hold the skin in place. No real rejuvenation takes place, but rather we create the “appearance” of rejuvenation.
The real skin rejuvenation causes changes at the cellular level of the skin, which improve the various functions and the appearance of the skin.
So what can we do to achieve this change and truly rejuvenate our skin? It may sound quite basic, but here it is:
Encourage new skin cell growth
Neutralize skin damaging free radicals
Encourage collagen production
Increase the skin’s moisture content
Improve the skin’s ability to protect itself
And now the big question Filler in New Jersey: HOW do we achieve that?
Believe it or not, there’s a lot you can do from the comfort of your own home and you don’t even need to break the bank. So let’s take them one by one.
1. You can encourage new skin cell growth through exfoliation. Exfoliation means eliminating the outermost layer of dead skin cells and is one of the most basic and important steps in stimulating new cell growth. Exfoliation can be accomplished through a mechanical method (scrubs or microdermabrasion) or through chemical means (products containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA), for instance).
2. When it comes to neutralizing skin damaging free radicals, antioxidants are the buzz-word in the skin care world. Apart from consuming foods rich in antioxidants, topical antioxidants are vital in boosting the skin’s natural protection from free radical damage.
Strong antioxidants Filler in New Jersey have been shown to provide several benefits:
Add a youthful glow to your skin increasing hydration and tone
Maintain collagen levels
Protect from future signs of aging
Improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin
Reduce the appearance of age spots and discoloration
Antioxidants usually work like sponges that soak up or quench free-radicals, which makes their activity quite limited. Medik8’s Firewall, on the other hand, works not only like a sponge but also like an enzyme pump. It sucks-up free-radicals, converts them into bi-products and then expels them from the system. It can process millions of repeated conversions before losing activity, making it more effective than other well known products.
3. The next step is to encourage collagen production. Retinol has been shown in several clinical trials to combat common skin-ageing concerns such as facial wrinkles, lines, folds and a loss of firmness by stimulating collagen and hyaluronic acid production. Retinol has also been proven to improve skin clarity and texture, promote anti-pigmentation plus demonstrate anti-acne and pore-minimizing effects, all leading to a more youthful skin appearance. What more could you ask for?
4. Moisturizing is an extremely important element in any facial rejuvenation regimen. Moisturizing not only hydrates but also locks in the skin’s own natural moisture content and helps the skin’s overall ability to heal and protect itself.
Some of the most important ingredients to look for when selecting a moisturizer are Pantothenic Acid, also known as vitamin B5 and Hyaluronic Acid. The Pantothenic Acid effectively enhances the skin’s moisture-retention capacity as well as promoting skin rejuvenation and wound healing, whilst the Hyaluronic Acid is capable of holding up to 1000x its own weight in water and hence helps to restore critical moisture to dehydrated skin, increase skin’s suppleness and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.. Pantothenic Acid is also a powerful anti-inflammatory and an anti-itching active, helping to soothe stressed irritated skin.
5. Last, but not least, sunscreen is an indispensable part of any anti-aging strategy. Physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) provide much better anti-aging benefits than chemical sunscreens because physical sunscreens work by reflecting the photons of light up and out of the skin so there is no absorption of energy. Unlike chemical screens, the physical sunscreen type of photoprotection produces no free radicals and no secondary skin damage, whereas the chemical ones prevent a larger degree of the initial sun damage but allow secondary free radical damage, which adds to the speed of the skin aging process..